Slovak minister says buying Elektrarne utility is one ‘extreme option’ to tackle energy crisis By Reuters
Economy 10 minutes ago (Sep 11, 2022 15:50)
© Reuters. FILE PHOTO: Slovakia’s Finance Minister Igor Matovic speaks to the media as refugees fleeing from Ukraine arrive in Slovakia, after Russia launched a massive military operation against Ukraine, in Vysne Nemecke, Slovakia, February 26, 2022. REUTERS/Radova
(Reuters) – Buying out majority shareholders of utility Slovenske Elektrarne, including Italy’s Enel (BIT:ENEI), is one “extreme” option for Slovakia to tackle Europe’s energy crisis hitting the country, Finance Minister Igor Matovic was quoted as saying on Sunday.
However, Matovic said that he saw the most likely solution as capping profits of non-gas energy producers, which is already being worked up in the European Union after the bloc’s energy ministers on Friday agreed on the measure.
“One of the solutions is that we try to agree with current shareholders to buy back (their) share in Slovenske Elektrarne,” TASR news agency quoted Matovic as saying on a Sunday debate show on private broadcaster TV Markiza.
He said gaining a full stake would allow the state to have control over pricing policies, but he declined to speculate on the cost of such a move.
The Slovak state is 34% owner of the utility, and Enel and Czech energy group EPH jointly own the remaining 66% stake.
The utility agreed in February a household electricity price cap to avoid a windfall tax as the state sought ways to battle soaring energy bills.
Slovakia relies on nuclear power for about half its production, and Slovenske Elektrarne operates the country’s only nuclear plants, including two existing units at Mochovce and the 1,000 MW Bohunice nuclear power station.
Trial operation at a third unit at Mochovce has started and the 471-megawatt unit should start producing in early 2023.
Slovak minister says buying Elektrarne utility is one ‘extreme option’ to tackle energy crisis
ATHENS (Reuters) -Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said on Sunday that Athens would try to keep communication channels with Ankara open despite recent “unacceptable”…
By Daniel Shvartsman
Investing.com – Markets started September on a strong note, with the S&P 500 closing up 3.4% in the first full week of the month and the NASDAQ Composite…
ATHENS (Reuters) – Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said on Sunday that Greece has taken action to secure sufficient energy supplies over the winter in the event of…
© 2007-2022 Fusion Media Limited. All Rights Reserved.
Risk Disclosure: Trading in financial instruments and/or cryptocurrencies involves high risks including the risk of losing some, or all, of your investment amount, and may not be suitable for all investors. Prices of cryptocurrencies are extremely volatile and may be affected by external factors such as financial, regulatory or political events. Trading on margin increases the financial risks.Before deciding to trade in financial instrument or cryptocurrencies you should be fully informed of the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, carefully consider your investment objectives, level of experience, and risk appetite, and seek professional advice where needed.Fusion Media would like to remind you that the data contained in this website is not necessarily real-time nor accurate. The data and prices on the website are not necessarily provided by any market or exchange, but may be provided by market makers, and so prices may not be accurate and may differ from the actual price at any given market, meaning prices are indicative and not appropriate for trading purposes. Fusion Media and any provider of the data contained in this website will not accept liability for any loss or damage as a result of your trading, or your reliance on the information contained within this website.It is prohibited to use, store, reproduce, display, modify, transmit or distribute the data contained in this website without the explicit prior written permission of Fusion Media and/or the data provider. All intellectual property rights are reserved by the providers and/or the exchange providing the data contained in this website.Fusion Media may be compensated by the advertisers that appear on the website, based on your interaction with the advertisements or advertisers.